Wednesday, August 22

Roadtrip! BAGELS

Ah, the bagel. When done right, they are soooooooo good. When done wrong, fahgeddaboudit. New York and New Jersey have cornered the market on good, real bagels. Once you've had a REAL bagel, there's no going back. I know, I know - you're got this bagel shop down the street in your town that is just GREAT. Eh, if it's not in the tri-state area, I probably can't believe you.


How do you know it's a real bagel? Well, first off you probably have to be in NY or NJ - sorry to everywhere else! Second, it's got this awesome crispy outside...geez, don't even know if that's the right description, but you'll know what I mean when you eat it. Lastly, the inside is chewy and NON-bready. Bready = Bad. Chewy = Good.

I had a delectable bagel from Chester Bagel & Deli on my last day out East. Chester is the next town over from where I grew up. These bagels were perfect, just what I needed to get my bagel fix. It's a good thing we got them the last day or I would have eaten FAR more than would have been good for me.

While we're talking bagels, I feel it my obligation to share with you the source of the best bagels in the world: H&H Bagels. They're the best bagels in NYC, and since NYC has the best bagels, well, that makes them the best in the world. Every time you go to NYC you must be sure to swing by H&H. They do ship anywhere in the world, but there's nothing like getting it straight out of their ovens.

Disclaimer: Just because a bagel is in NY or NJ does not automatically make it good. I had a TERRIBLE bagel my first day in Jersey. You have GOT to go to the right spots!!! :) This post is a BIT long...perhaps I'm a BIT obsessed?

4 comments:

Christie said...

I grew up in that area (Ledgewood) and all this NJ talk is making me homesick and hungry :)

jane maynard said...

fun - ledgewood is right near where I'm from! glad you're homesick and hungry...then I'm doing my job. :)

Rynell said...

I had some tasty, chewy bagels living in Massachusetts. Definitely better in the East.

Tuesday Girl said...

Bagels are so good here in NJ/NY. Although I now live in South Jersey and they stink here!
I just love Chester, it is one of my favorite NJ towns.
Christie & Jane, my husband is from succasunna!