Wednesday, June 11

The Goods: Splendido Little Tomatoes

As I was eating these tomatoes at lunch today, I thought they were just too pretty to NOT be photographed.


These are my favorite store-bought tomatoes. They are from Trader Joe's (surprise) and are called "Splendido Little Tomatoes."

Wanna know something funny? Ever single time I've bought these (which is a LOT) I thought they were called "Splendid Little Tomatoes," because they ARE splendid! As I was posting the picture just now, I saw "Splendido" and thought, "Just my luck...Trader Joe's misspells the label the day I want to post about them." DUH. Splendido are a type of tomato (yeah, can you tell I'm a big gardener?). I've been misreading the label this whole time!

There is a happy ending to this silly story...if you don't have a Trader Joe's, you'll still be able to get these splendid splendidos! :)

8 comments:

Jessica H said...

I saw something on the national news yesterday about some people in the US getting sick (salmonella) from some types of tomatos that are circulating right now. McDonalds had reportedly pulled tomatos from their products for the time being. They said grape and cherry are fine. Roma,plum, and round red tomatoes are the ones to avoid, unless of course they are homegrown. So be careful! http://www.fda.gov/oc/opacom/hottopics/tomatoes.html

Melissa said...

That's so funny that they're splendido and not splendid!! I think my favorite tomatoes are pear tomatoes. My mom grows them in her garden. They're just the right size to just pop in your mouth.

Nells-Bells said...

I LOVE Trader Joe's and unfortunately, don't have one near. It is the best store ever! You are oh so lucky.

Anonymous said...

Hi! I have some info on the tomatoes. Check out Dinner Tonight's post on them:
http://blogs1.marthastewart.com/dinnertonight/2008/06/the-season-for.html
And jane, thanks for the tip on the giveaway!

jane maynard said...

funny that article was posted the same week! :) I will totally try those recipes, alison. thanks!

thanks for the detailed info, jess!

Red said...

I recently prepared your recipe for Chicken Enchiladas. Although I made a couple of changes (green chilis for onions and diced tomato for tomato sauce) my husband said they were restaurant quality. He has requested them again. Yea!! Thanks for sharing. Love getting those kind of compliments, don't you??

This week for dinner
M: Turkey Rice Bake
T: Roast Beef Sandwiches, Corn, Ranch Beans
W: Spaghetti and Meatballs
T: Tilapia, Roast Veggies
F: ??
S: ??
Su: Brunch with family for Fathers Day

jane maynard said...

so happy it was a hit! chiles and diced tomato both sounds like excellent tweaks to the recipe...will remember for next time!

MaWa said...

you know what's funny - when I read it I read 'Splendid' - must be in the genes!