Thursday, September 11

Featured Recipe: Caramelized Onion & Roasted Red Pepper Pasta

Today's recipe comes from reader, Kate. It was on her menu a few weeks ago and I stole it shamelessly. Nate and I really enjoyed this dish, and it is super easy to prepare. Plus, it's so pretty!


Caramelized Onion & Roasted Red Pepper Pasta
From Robin to the Rescue by Robin Miller, via TWFD reader Kate :)
- 12 oz spinach fettuccine (Kate note: I always use regular fettuccine or whole wheat spaghetti with great success)
- 1 Tbs olive oil
- 1 medium onion, sliced into half moons
- 2 Tbs sugar
- 1 cup sliced roasted red peppers (Jane note: I just bought a jar of these at the store)
- 2 Tbs balsamic vinegar
- 1 cup vegetable broth (Kate note: I usually use chicken b/c i have an open container in my fridge)
- salt and fresh ground pepper

Cook pasta and drain. While pasta is cooking, heat the oil in large skillet over medium heat. Add the onions and sugar and cook, stirring a couple of times until the onions are golden brown and carmelized, about 10 minutes (Jane note - took longer for me). Stir in the red peppers and vinegar and cook for 2 minutes. Add the broth and pasta and simmer for 2 minutes to heat through. Season with salt and pepper and serve. The sauce will thicken up a bit upon sitting for a minute or two.

Kate note: I am only making this for 2.5 of us so I usually make half the pasta, but a full recipe fo the sauce. It's so good and we like it really saucy! Enjoy!

Jane note: I had a 9 oz package of spinach fettuccine...and I thought it was too much pasta for the sauce, so go with Kate's tip of just doing 6 oz of pasta (half the recipe), but the full recipe of sauce. Also, I'm going to throw some chicken in here next time - I think that would taste good. Great dish!

3 comments:

Sara said...

The colors in this dish are really pretty together!

jane maynard said...

it would almost be a pretty christmas dish, now that I think about it! :)

Kate said...

I'm glad you enjoyed this meal. It's so easy and has definitely become a go-to meal at our house when I'm short on time!