Saturday, November 17

Thanksgiving Prep: Stuffing

Below is my mom's stuffing recipe. This is what I make every year - it's not fancy, but it is so good. There are TONS of fancier recipes out there that I'm sure are delicious, but I like my stuffing simple & straightforward. As with all my mom's recipes, there are no measurements. So sorry!!! Also, there's lots of good info in the comments on the Gravy post, so make sure you read them!

Quick note on more Thanksgiving Prep posts to come: Tomorrow I will share my entire menu for Thanksgiving, including recipes. Monday is all about dessert - so get your favorite recipes to share ready! Tuesday is about timing the meal prep - this is probably the trickiest part of cooking on Thanksgiving. Wednesday...we may be done, we shall see! The coutdown begins!

CLASSIC STUFFING
From Phyllis Wallin, my mom
- Bag cubed bread loaf
- 1 medium onion
- diced celery
- grated carrots
- salt
- pepper
- sage
- 1 stick butter melted
- chicken stock if needed
- 1 egg well beaten

I (Jane) buy a loaf of cheap white bread, cut into cubes and let dry out for a day before making the stuffing. I use less than a whole onion (nate doesn't like onion that much) and then a few carrots & celery. Sautee the onion and celery in the butter. Mix all the ingredients together. I don't think I've ever needed to add chicken stock. As I mentioned in the Turkey post, I put as much stuffing in the turkey as I can (don't forget you can stuff the neck too!) and then I put the rest in a casserole dish, cover with foil and bake until it's hot all the way through - then when turkey is done, mix all the stuffing together. Enjoy!

No comments: