Friday, July 6

The Goods: Calrose Rice

Last night as I was cooking my rice I thought, hey, this rice would make for a good blog post, so here we go...I LOVE CALROSE RICE. It's my favorite. I serve it with all of our meals that need rice as a base - Indian food, Asian food, good ole casseroles, everything! There are definitely more flavorful, fragrant rices out there like jasmine and basmati. I appreciate them, but this is usually my first pick.


If you haven't had calrose, it's a white sticky rice. You don't need a rice cooker - it comes out PERFECTLY on my stove every time (1 1/2 C rice to 2 C water, bring to a boil, then reduce to low and simmer until done). One downfall - it dries out when you save it, not as great the next day (think Chinese take-out rice leftovers), but good enough! Okay, done imparting rice wisdom.

4 comments:

FoxyJ said...

I love Calrose rice too! I've found that if you sprinkle the leftovers generously with water before you microwave them that will help remoisturize them really well. Either that or heat it up with milk and make rice pudding or turn it into fried rice :)

Anonymous said...

I am a Calrose rice lover too!

jane maynard said...

good reheating tips, foxyj! thanks!

Jason and Kate said...

This is my favorite rice as well! I agree it is not as good the next day. I have found freezing it and then reheating it in the microwave when you want it again is a great alternative. Go Calrose!