Thursday, July 26

Roadtrip! New England Hot Dog Buns & Relish

Moving away from New England meant moving away from the ability to make the best hot dogs. There are 2 ingredients that make this possible - New England hot dog buns (aka lobster roll buns) and Piccalilli.


First, the buns: well, you can see what they look like in the picture. It's KINDA like a piece of white bread folded, but better. To really make 'em good, you grill them with butter in the pan.


Second, Piccalilli. This is the best relish ever. They have green tomato relish and red pepper relish, but I think the green tomato is perfect for my perfect hot dog. Do I sound a little crazy?

I complete the masterpiece with mustard. I sure love coming out every summer.

Okay, have to give credit to Nate or he'll get mad at me. :) He introduced me to all this hot dog goodness when we got married.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Whoa! It's not a dog unless it's a Sabrett's dog with the natural casing that crackles when you bite into it. This other stuff is merely window dressing.

Jenny said...

I totally want to try that. So hypothetically, could you make the buns from scratch and then bring home jars of the relish?

jane maynard said...

I'm definitely picking some jars of piccalilli up before I got home! when I was researching the buns online to see if they REALLY were just in new england (which they are!), I found you can order some from one company to ship to you...or someone suggested using white bread, someone else suggested using a hot dog bun with the top sliced off so it's like the split top...so, hypothetically you could, but it just isn't the same! :)

Anonymous said...

New England type hotdog buns are great. Here in NJ I found a place called "New England Hot Dog Company". They're awesome! They have 11 or 12 types of dogs (okay not all dogs, some are sausage, kielbasa, etc) and 39 freakin toppings! That's where I first found out about the "new england" type rolls.

As for the piccalilli stuff, you can get that in almost any supermarket, so you shouldn't have to worry. I'm not sure where you moved, but I've always seen it in supermarkets. I'm going to try it when I get paid this week. I've always looked at the jar, but never tried some. Your blog is enough for me to want to try it.

jane maynard said...

I'll have to check that place out next time I'm in jersey! and definitely buy yourself a bottle of the relish!!! :)