Monday, February 25

Milkshake

I like milkshakes. They're yummy. And, believe it or not, I didn't discover them until Nate's mom came onto the scene. That's right, yet another thing for Nate to add to the "I can't believe Jane hadn't tried this until she met me" list...like relish on a hot dog. It's true. I'm a weirdo.


Okay, back to milkshakes. They're easy and way good. All you do is blend milk, ice, sugar (to taste) and a bit of vanilla (chocolate syrup is, of course, another option). That's it. So yummy. And the good news is that it tastes a lot like an ice cream shake, minus all that crazy fat and sugar. I would say it may even be a bit more refreshing.

I did mess it up a little the other night by adding too much ice. Well, I suppose some people would have liked it better - it got much thicker and foamier. I thought it was too much...although it made for a better picture. :) Figured I'd mention it so you could finesse this super fancy recipe to your liking.

Wait - I need to do a little mother-in-law heckling. I just want to say I think it ironic that she gives me such a hard time for Milk on the Rocks...um, isn't this just Milk on the Rocks in a blender? :P

14 comments:

Gina said...

Mmmm. Just read this post and went to make myself a milkshake. Instead of sugar and vanilla I added some maple syrup. Very delicious! Thanks for the great idea!

jane maynard said...

wow! my powers of persuasion are unparalleled. :)

Jessica H said...

I like to add about a half (or less if really ripe) of a banana. It is SOOOO yummy. The mother-in-law Jane refers to is my very own mother! So, unlike Jane, I was lucky enough to grow up on these suckers.

Christie said...

Do you use skim milk or does it need to be fattier to make it tasty?

jane maynard said...

I have 1%...I suppose it would probably be better the fattier the milk is, but for me it doesn't matter so much. I like it with whatever milk I happen to have in the fridge! :)

We Are Not Martha said...

Oooh I LOVE milk shakes!! Even in this freezing cold, snowy Boston weather :) Glad you've been introduced!

Sues

The Queen of Quite a Lot said...

I think I'll try this with Oberweis chocolate milk tonight. Whenever I make homemade ice cream with a chocolate base, I use this and it turns out awesome.

jane maynard said...

good idea to do it with a good chocolate milk...yum!!!

Sassafrass Balboa said...

For something really interesting try molasses- just a little! -it makes a smokey milkshake. It tastes so different from anything I ever tried- intriguing- and yet... An older lady from church told me that was how their mom got them to drink dry milk. For an adventure- go out on a limb and try molasses.

jane maynard said...

just so everyone knows...ms pat maynard there is my mother-in-law, so if she says it's good in a milkshake, it's good in a milkshake. :)

Bill from Jersey said...

I will ride one of these Floridian alligators I find myself surrounded by, before I put molasses in milk.

Anonymous said...

do you have measurements to make this or do you just "freestyle"

jane maynard said...

freestyle for sure. :) just a splash of vanilla for me, and start out with just a little ice and add it to taste...like I said, it was too thick the other night b/c I just put too much ice in there. good luck! :)

Anonymous said...

Well I have another version - add frozen strawberries instead of ice, a tsp of strawberry extract and a few packets of equal instead of sugar and you have a great option for those of us who have to watch what we eat. Yummy! I also make a mean homemade eggnog - must be living in New England or something!