Wednesday, April 16

Featured Recipe: Creamy Holiday Potatoes

Today's featured recipe comes from a reader named Michelle. She shared this simple recipe over a year ago. It is a great recipe. Easy, delicious...and you don't have to just cook it for a holiday dinner...I just couldn't come up with a better name. ;)


My friend Lindsay and I split the cooking responsibilities for Easter this year. Lindsay was in charge of making these potatoes. Since she's way gourmet, she actually used fresh potatoes. As you can see in the picture, they came out great...although, since I'm a big cheat in the kitchen I'm pretty sure I'll still use frozen hash browns in the future, but it was excellent cooked this way. One more thing - Lindsay made one dish with fresh garlic added and it was a good addition.

CREAMY HOLIDAY POTATOES
From TWFD Reader Michelle
Buy frozen, shredded hash brown potatoes, put a layer in a baking dish, sprinkle salt over the potatoes, continue layering potatoes and salt until dish is 3/4 full. Pour heavy cream over all until potatoes are not quite covered. Bake at about 300 degrees for several hours (see comments for more specifics on how long) until done. They will be golden brown and a little crunchy on top but creamy and yummy under the crust. If you are using a dish the size of a 9 x 13 cake pan, you will use about 3 cups of cream.

7 comments:

Diana said...

Sounds yummy, but how many hours? Three? Four?

jane maynard said...

good catch...I actually don't think you have to do it that long...I don't remember.

Lindsay - how long did you cook these potatoes?

We need to get this straight! :)

Lindsay said...

i think i actually cooked mine at 425 degrees for around 45-60 minutes and just kept my eye on them.

jane maynard said...

thanks linds...

the funeral potatoes recipe (on Recipes: Side Dishes) has a similar make-up and it says to cook at 350 for 35-40 mins.

bottom line: several hours is too much! :)

Jessica H said...

I used this recipe for Easter Dinner this year too and I just put it in about an hour before I stuck the ham in and left it in there until the ham was done. That worked perfectly- so it was about 3.5 hours at 275. That way the oven temp wasn't too hot for the ham. Good recipe and so easy!!! Thanks for sharing it.

Diana said...

Thanks for the tips, guys! This is now officially on my "to try" recipe list.

Bill from Jersey said...

Those Creamy Holiday Potatoes sound good. Try this! Instead of layering with salt, use anchovies and onions. Now we're talking!