Sunday, April 20

'S Wondra-ful, 'S Marvelous

My friend Adrianne introduced me to Wondra. It's a quick-dissolving flour made specifically for thickening gravies & sauces. Granted, I do like using a roux for this purpose, but I'm generally too lazy and just throw flour into my gravy. Wondra is nicer than flour because it really does dissolve quickly. Just make sure if you don't mix it with water first that you wisk as you add it...or you will still get some lumps. ANYWAY...thanks to Adrianne for this great tip! I used it tonight when I made gravy to go with our roast...the gravy was AWESOME.

If any of you (including you, Adrianne) are Wondra aficionados, please share any tips or tricks of the trade. I'm still new with this stuff.

(Don't forget to post your menu for the week...I'm doing two posts today, so the Weekly Menu is right below!)

2 comments:

adrianne said...

I'm no expert on the stuff... BUT my grandmother and mom always had it on hand for holidays - it really does make making gravy easier... no lumps - and yes, just like Jane said - you have to whisk it. If you're afraid of making your own gravy or you get those nasty packets --- just buy this stuff instead. It'll be worth it.

I sometimes use it as a thickener for things such as stir fries instead of corn starch - works too. Go get some amd try it.

jane maynard said...

good idea in the stir fry...thanks adrianne!